The Osprey Daylite is a lightweight, foldable backpack perfect for short treks and city excursions. Our experts trekked through tropical mountains with this model. They appreciated the breathable mesh back panel and shoulder straps of this bag. The sleek design made it extra appealing. In addition, the mesh water bottle pockets, compression straps, and readily accessible front pocket made this bag a pleasure to use on day hikes and while traveling.
Osprey Daylite Daypack: A Traveler’s Best Companion
|Features||Osprey Daylite Daypack|
|Colors Available||Honeybee Yellow/Deep Sea Blue (Other options may be available)|
|Total Volume||13 Liters|
|Main Compartment Access||Large panel loading|
|Side Pockets||Dual stretch mesh|
|Interior Sleeve||Multi-function for hydration reservoir or tablet|
|Back Panel||Mesh-covered die-cut foam for comfort and ventilation|
|Front Pocket||Zippered with mesh organizer and key clip|
|Attachable to compatible Osprey Packs||Yes|
|Warranty||All Mighty Guarantee|
Osprey Daylite Daypack, Honeybee Yellow, One Size
- As a travel guide with extensive experience as a traveler, I have had the pleasure of using the Osprey Daylite Daypack on numerous flights and adventures. This versatile daypack has proven to be an indispensable companion, offering exceptional functionality, durability, and comfort. Here are my detailed insights and experiences with the Osprey Daylite Daypack:
- 1. Spacious and Accessible Main Compartment: The large panel-loading main compartment of the Osprey Daylite Daypack provides easy access to its contents. Whether I’m packing my essentials for a short flight or a day trip, this feature has made packing and organizing a breeze. The generous space allows me to fit everything I need while keeping items easily accessible.
- 2. Convenient Side Pockets: The dual stretch mesh side pockets have been a lifesaver during my travels. They offer additional storage options, perfect for holding water bottles or small items like sunglasses, snacks, or a compact umbrella. These pockets are not only functional but also secure, providing peace of mind knowing that my belongings are within reach.
- 3. Multi-Function Interior Sleeve: The Osprey Daylite Daypack features a multi-function interior sleeve, designed to accommodate either a hydration reservoir or a tablet. This versatility has been incredibly useful during my trips. I can easily switch between carrying my water bladder or securely storing my tablet, ensuring that I stay hydrated or entertained throughout my journey.
- 4. Comfortable and Ventilated Back Panel: One of the standout features of the Osprey Daylite Daypack is its mesh-covered die-cut foam back panel. This design offers exceptional comfort and ventilation, preventing excessive sweating and discomfort during long flights or hikes. The airflow provided by the back panel has kept me cool and refreshed, even in hot and humid environments.
- 5. Organized Front Pocket: The front zippered pocket with a mesh organizer and key clip has been a game-changer in terms of keeping small items secure and easily accessible. Whether it’s my travel documents, a pen, or small accessories, this pocket provides a dedicated space for organizing my essentials. The mesh organizer prevents items from getting tangled or misplaced, saving me valuable time when I need them the most.
- 6. Versatile Attachment to Compatible Osprey Packs: One of the remarkable advantages of the Osprey Daylite Daypack is its compatibility with a variety of Osprey packs. This feature allows me to attach the daypack to larger backpacks or travel bags, creating a modular system that caters to different trip lengths and activities. It’s incredibly convenient to have the option to use the Daylite as a separate pod pack for day trips away from base camp.
- Spacious Main Compartment: The large panel-loading main compartment provides easy access to the contents, making packing and organizing a breeze.
- Convenient Side Pockets: The dual stretch mesh side pockets offer additional storage options and are perfect for holding water bottles or small items.
- Versatile Interior Sleeve: The multi-function interior sleeve can be used for a hydration reservoir or a tablet, providing flexibility based on your needs.
- Comfortable and Ventilated: The mesh-covered die-cut foam back panel ensures comfort and ventilation, preventing excessive sweating during long journeys.
- Well-Organized Front Pocket: The front zippered pocket with a mesh organizer and key clip keeps small items secure and easily accessible, saving valuable time.
- Attachable to Compatible Osprey Packs: The Daylite Daypack can be attached to various compatible Osprey packs, allowing for modular use and customization.
- Limited Color Options: Some users may find the color options of the Osprey Daylite Daypack to be limited compared to their preferences.
- No Laptop Sleeve: While the interior sleeve can accommodate a tablet or small laptop, there is no dedicated padded sleeve for larger laptops.
- Not Suitable for Heavy Loads: The Daylite Daypack is designed as a lightweight daypack and may not be suitable for carrying heavy loads or extensive hiking gear.
- Minimal Internal Organization: The main compartment lacks additional internal pockets or dividers, which may make it challenging to organize smaller items.
- No Hip Belt: The Daylite Daypack does not feature a hip belt, which could be a drawback for those seeking extra stability and weight distribution.
- Non-Waterproof Material: The pack's nylon material is water-resistant but not fully waterproof, so additional precautions may be necessary in wet weather conditions.
Detailed Review of Osprey Daylite
The Daylite is an attractive choice for people looking for a small daypack. It offers breathable back panels and shoulder straps, a hydration compartment, and front zipped pocket, compression straps, and water bottle pockets.
The 3D mesh fabric on the shoulder straps helps to wick moisture away. The hip belt was a welcome addition, but it was rarely necessary while carrying only a few items. The gear loops may be a little inconvenient for fast activity. However, it’s a nice feature if you need to run or jog with the pack. The back panel was comfortable and allowed for some ventilation in a hot and humid environment. This bag kept our testers’ backbone dry when trekking through the hills in summer.
The Daylite is a lightweight model that weighs only 16 ounces. Therefore, it will not burden you down in any way. However, it offers few features and limited carrying capacity because of its low weight. If that sounds good to you, great; if not, consider packs with more features and more excellent capabilities.
The Daylight is a Simple daypack with just a few features. We found it to be less versatile than most packs we tested, which have four reconfigurable compression straps, a front pocket, and an ice axe loop because it doesn’t have a front pocket or only has two compression straps.
This bag’s lightweight and straightforward, making it ideal for transitioning between city and mountain climates. It looks just as good on a short day hike as it does on the bus.
Ease of Use
However, we appreciated the sleek style, which disappeared from view and mind. The most significant drawback we discovered is that the water bottle pockets on the sides are too small; they can hold a regular one-litre water bottle if you put it in before filling up the pack.
If you forget to grab a drink or pick one up later, we hope you’ll join us in wishing they were more prominent. To keep small items like sunscreen, your phone, and keys accessible, you’ll need to put them in the top zipped pocket, which is the perfect size to store necessities. In addition, the external access hydration pocket makes it easy to fill-ups.
The Daylight is made of 210-denier nylon on the front and 420-denier packcloth on the bottom. We predict that this pack will last a long time for many adventures. However, if you’re looking for a climbing pack, we believe that burlier, more straightforward ones are superior alternatives.
The Daylite is a good value for the features offered. While some of our reviewers liked the versatility of some more expensive models, several testers appreciate the simplicity and design appeal of the Daylite. It’s ideal for individuals who want an essential panel-loading bag.
Osprey’s All Mighty Guarantee
Osprey’s All Mighty Guarantee is something we appreciate as well. This promise from Osprey is that rather than replacing products, they will repair them. In addition, Osprey will repair your pack for free if you believe it has any flaws or problems in construction that have caused damage.
What We Like of Osprey Daylite
According to our experts, the Osprey Daylite Pack is a very lightweight daypack as its empty weight is only 0.5kg. Therefore, we stuff our daypack into our luggage for flights or train trips when it’s more convenient.
2. Small and foldable
When the pack is complete, it is 46cm tall, 24cm wide, and 22cm deep. This is the perfect size for routine usage, and it folds down when not in use, so you may keep it in a drawer or box for your next adventure.
3. Very durable
We seek out once-in-a-lifetime experiences that get our hearts racing and take us deep into nature when we travel. As a result, our travelling gear must be highly durable. We’ve taken our Osprey Daylite backpack to different places and found the Daylite pack has withstood everything we’ve thrown at it.
The bag has a 210 denier nylon shell and an even sturdier 420 denier packcloth base.
What We Don’t Like of Osprey Daylite
There are so many features of Osprey Daylite which our experts appreciate. However, there are a few disadvantages of Osprey Daylite.
1. The mesh back panel is thin
The back panel on this backpack is breathable, yet it is relatively thin. Because of the way the Daylite’s design is built, anything with hard angles in your pack can dig into your back. However, if you carefully pack your daypack with care, making sure hard items (such as laptops) are flush with the back panel, you should have no problems. It also serves as a cushion against your back if the hydraulic reservoir is full.
2. The shoulder straps are simple.
If you fill your daypack, the shoulder straps may become painful. Because this Daylite bag isn’t built for heavy loads, the shoulder straps are skinny. This pack is best suited for carrying a water bottle and raincoat on a day trip or sightseeing in town, but it isn’t suggested for transporting ten hardbacks to the library.
3. No rain cover
There is no rain cover included with this daypack. This wasn’t a significant drawback because you can buy one.
4. The inner pocket is a small
We’re getting more specific to our business now! Osprey Daylite’s inner pocket is large enough to fit a Macbook Air 13″, which is our preferred device.
Customize Your Osprey Daylite Backpack for You
There are several ways to customize the Osprey daylite backpack to make it yours.
Choose from 3 sizes.
The Osprey Daylite has a smaller capacity of 13 litres. There are two more sizes to pick from
1. The Daylite Plus pack
This pack has an extra storage compartment at the front, and it can hold 20 litres.
2. The Daylite Travel pack
The RFID-blocking lining of this bag protects your valuables from identity theft and includes a waterproof pocket for additional storage. It has an extra storage compartment and comes with an RFID liner.
Choose from 5 colours
The Osprey Daylite and Daylite Plus backpacks are available in five distinct hues. Green or crimson, is our favourite option.
Buy a rain cover for your pack
This daypack does not include a rain cover, as we previously said. However, most manufacturers’ rain covers will fit on an Osprey Daylite pack. We suggest getting a high-visibility rain cover to ensure that you can be seen in low-light situations like during a city stroll or on an outdoor journey.
Other Versions of the Osprey Daylite
We tested the 20-liter “Plus” version of the Daylite, and Osprey offers a variety of alternative options in its Daylite line. The essential Daylite daypack, which costs $60 and has 13 litres of capacity, is the most comparable; it lacks the front stash pocket found on the Plus model.
The 13-liter Daylite is a good choice for travelling, but its hiking usefulness is limited due to the smaller capacity and lack of storage. Daylite includes a sling and waist pack, as well as tote bags (30, 45, and 60L), duffels (30, 45, and 60L capacities).
The new 15-litre packs with top-loading cinch closures and daisy chain attachment points. Importantly, none of the Daylite designs is available in women s-specific models.
Compare Osprey Daylite to Similar Products
|Name||Osprey Daylite||REI Co-op Flash 22||Osprey Daylite Plus||REI Co-op Trail 25||REI Co-op Flash 18|
|Volume||13 L||22 L||20 L||25 L||18 L|
|Measured Weight||454 g||357 g||584 g||876 g||255 g|
|Back Construction||Mesh and soft foam||Simple foam pad||Mesh over vented foam||Contured, foam pad||Simple foam pad|
|Hydration Compatibility||Sleeve for 2L bladder or tablet, bladder not included||Internal hydration sleeve||Internally accessed sleeve, holds up to 3L, bladder not included||Internal hydration sleeve||Internal hydration sleeve|
|Hipbelt||3/4" webbing, removable||3/4" webbing removable||3/4" webbing, removable||3/4" webbing||3/4" webbing removable|
|Number of pockets||3||5||6||6||2|
|Materials||210D nylon and 600D packcloth||Nylon||Nylon||Nylon||Nylon|
|Pros||Lightweight, great breathable back panel, Durable build||Lightweight, minimum features, comfortable||Simple style, lightweight||Affordable, simple design, versatile||Inexpensive, lightweight, minimum storage|
|Cons||Little small size, small pockets for water bottle||No durable, no bear heavy load||Small size, minimal features||Heavy volume,||Minimum features, thin hip belt|
|Price||Check price||Check price||Check price||Check price||Check price|
Having traveled extensively with the Osprey Daylite Daypack, I can confidently say that it has exceeded my expectations as a reliable travel companion. Its thoughtful design, well-organized compartments, and comfortable carrying experience have made it an essential part of my travel gear. Whether I’m navigating busy airports, exploring new cities, or embarking on outdoor adventures, the Osprey Daylite Daypack has consistently delivered in terms of functionality, durability, and comfort.
Leave a Reply